Sunday, September 14, 2008

Where is Your Nathan?

Nathan?..who is Nathan, you ask? Nathan was the subject of our sermon today at Grace Point. After hearing the description of this guy, I know you have a Nathan too.

2Samuel 12:1-13
Whenever I need to accomplish a task, I can always count on Nathan to assist. Of course his name could be Nathan, Paul, Jonathan, Debra, Matthew, Mark or Luke....or his name could be Shana, Jill, Terry, Morgan, Tiffany or Jenni.
In 2 Samuel, Nathan, a good friend of King David's tells him a story in order to show King David how displeased God was toward him after he slept w/Bathsheba and then had her husband killed. Nathan tells David, "your the man." (Not like we say in 2008 "your the man" w/a cocky shake of the head) Your the man, meaning, you are the man in this story David, listen up.
In v-13 David then sees his sin and repents w/a broken heart. (also see Psalm 51) Nothing is hidden from God in as much as we think else wise. God loves us and often sends a Nathan into our lives to reveal our weaknesses/sin/selfishness/and pity. These Nathans encourage us to walk close w/God.
1Chronicles 17..shows us that Nathan once again shares w/David what God desires. David wants to build an awesome temple for God, but God tells Nathan to tell the King "DO NOT go there, I will raise up your son to build a temple..it is no for you to do."
A Nathan helps us to be better. Nathan's also can get "under our skin", irritating us. Their words sting, but to the one who understands the job of these Nathan's, he is a welcomed intruder. A Nathan asks questions that challenge, convict. Intrusive questions that get to the core of the matter. MOST OF ALL A NATHAN TELLS THE TRUTH, EVEN IF IT HURTS.
So by now are you thinking about your Nathan? I had to do the same. My biggest Nathan is my husband of 32 yrs...but along the pathway of this life that is my book...I have had a few Nathan's: Lisa from Texas has to be my #1 Nathan, Ann H. from Arkansas has to be my #2. Sue L. from LA.is always ready to give me scripture advise and calm my fears. MaryBea from TN. always makes me smile and my sister Beth is the one who intercedes in my behalf. I would be amis if I did not add my daughters to this list...Shana and Jill, they are always encouraging my heart and soul but will be honest enough to talk straight w/me, their mother.
When you do figure out who your Nathan is, respect them! God has given them into your life for a purpose or for a season. Whatever the reason or time of space, respect them as prophets from God, sent to stir in your heart...reasoning, compassion, healing, encouragement or service.
Joy!

No comments: