Friday, August 3, 2007

Playing the Waiting Game....

Phil 3:10-4:9
We all play the waiting game. Wait in traffic, wait in line –anywhere! Wait for results of medical tests, Wait for someone on the other end of the phone line. The Church also plays the waiting game…this life is not about this life! It’s about waiting effectively until the next life starts, if we do not wait effectively, it will make for a bad experience while here on earth.


*Who first invented waiting? Look into Psalms Chap 27:14 “Be strong and take heart, wait on the Lord.” 130:5-6 states, “I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in His word I put my hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than a watchman waits for the morning.”

Isaiah 30:18 “For the Lord is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for Him.”

Romans 8:23b “Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.”

Romans 8:25 “But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with patience.”


*HOW TO WAIT EFFECTIVELY….Know Christ and the power of His resurrection(3:10-11)….fellowship in the sharing of His suffering(v10-11)…..Become like Him in His death…..attain the resurrection from the dead….Don’t get caught up in what HAS BEEN…..Press on with the right focus…(v10-11).


*HOW TO HANDLE SATAN'S DISTRACTIONS…End disagreements (4:2-3)…Praise God during the hard times (v4-7)…Have Godly thoughts, resist the negative (v8-9).

ENDURE THIS LIFE WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN…..Galatians 6:9-10, “Let us not be weary in well doing, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.”

James 1:12 gives us a promise..."Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him."

How well are WE playing the waiting game?

(this was the sermon notes from my son in law on Sunday evening) Right now in our life, we are playing the waiting game and I must say that I am not doing so well. I constantly have to remind myself that whining is not acceptable. It will not get me to my goal any faster, it will hinder God's work in my life and how He wants to use me in the lives of others. Billie really spoke to me that night. I was so proud of his delivery of the Word, but he would be the first to say that it was not him but rather God! Billie has a real passion for reaching the lost and I am glad that God chose him to be apart of our family.

No comments: