Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Today....


I worked like a squirrel. Busying myself w/lots of projects. Things that are important next week, this month, even months down the road. Everything from making a shamrock border to painting 3 canvas's for a women's retreat give-a-way. I spent lots of time today just praising God thru song!

I talked to my daughters, and encouraged my mom and even made some phone calls for our Life group at church. I made some chili and did laundry, even washed my slippers. (no not the ruby red ones)
I thought I would stop and do some blogging. I enjoyed a entry from a friend who is at the end of PTBC (potty training boot camp) w/her youngest. Got a new receipe on a blog and then checked into this blog: read her entry below...and then be thankful for what your day was like today. This young lady is amazing! Katie lives in Uganda and works w/children. She has adopted 11 (I think) of her very own. I am ashmed to admit that she has learned so much more in her young life than I have in mine. Pray for Katie and her kids!

http://www.kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/

I get caught up sometimes in "I deserve this" moments, moments where I compare myself to some other people I know and trick myself into believing that I am doing pretty good. Moments where I "deserve" a hot shower, or I "deserve" that chocolate bar even though I know it is expensive, moments when I "deserve" a new pair of shoes, because hey, I work hard. TRUTH: this is not at all scriptural. NO WHERE does it say that I am worthy or deserve a reward here on earth. Colossians 3:23 says "Whatever you do work at it with all your heart." It does not end in "and after this hard work you deserve a long hot bath and a chocolate bar." It does end in, "since you know that you will recieve an inheritance from the Lord as a reward." Oh, doesn't that sound better than all the material rewards you can think of? Matthew 19:21, Mark 10:21, and Luke 18:22 all say exactly the same thing, "Go, sell everything you have and give it to the poor, and you will have treasure in Heaven." I live in a world that tells me that if I sell what I have and give it to the poor, if I leave my rich american life to live in a cockroach infested, cement house in a third world country, I am doing a wonderful and radical thing. TRUTH: I am only doing what I love doing, and what God who gave His life for me asked me to do. Look at Jesus, doing more for the kingdom than any human can ever hope to and taking no pay, no reward, only accusations and eventually death. Ouch, there goes my pride.

No comments: