Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My To-Do List....

My checklist for today is 50% complete….so I thought I would blog a bit. I know that many of you (Erin, Bran, Shana, Laurie & Alexis just to name a few) love new recipes.

Steve and I love, (strongly emphasized here) homemade soups in the winter and fresh salads in the summer. And since we now live in the burr-north, soups are more than enjoyed!

One of the things I love about being in Ohio is that we are close to our parents. Last week I took a day visit w/my mother and one of my mother-in-laws. Their birthdays are just days apart but that particular week a winter storm blew in! That morning I spent w/my momma & was going to have lunch w/ Annie (my MIL). If you met Annie, you would think she was an original Italian come, sit down and eat, mother. Not that any of us complain! She is a great cook!! She is also great at making memories! Well, this day, she had made Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup! Yum-o!

SO I have digressed, sorry. My to do list…..make 2 soups today, one for tonight and one for Thursday night. I choose the new Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup and one of my very favorites, Tomato Basil Soup.

Stuffed Bell Pepper Soup: (serves 16- 50 MIN Prep time)

2 # ground beef-browned (I used less b/c we don’t eat a lot of meat)
2 Qts water
1 (28oz) Can Diced Tomatoes
1 (29 oz) Can Tomato Sauce
¾ -1 C uncooked rice (I use brown rice)
1-2 large bell peppers (I like red and yellow)
¾ C beef broth
2 Tbls. Brown Sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

In crock pot add all ingredients, Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer for 30-40 minutes.

Tomato Basil Soup:

1 (28oz) can crushed Tomatoes......14 oz Chicken broth......16 fresh Basil leaves (diced)....
1 tsp sugar (I use raw sugar).....¾ C Heavy Whipping Cream.....¼ C butter or margarine

In large saucepan allow tomatoes and broth to come to a boil ….Add Basil, sugar, cream, butter…. Reduce to a simmer. Depending upon your desire in soups (I love thick soups) you can add 2 tsps of corn starch to some of the broth to thicken soup a bit.


Ok, now that I have checked these off of my list, I can now move onto my quiet time….conference study and returning to retyping a book on Children and Conversion that Steve has written.

Disclaimer: These two soups WILL NOT cause any hyper-ness to your mind, body or soul…unlike the Chocolate Soup will do if you partake of to much or to late in the evening.

Joy for your day!

No comments: