Thursday, February 12, 2009

Braggin Rites....

I have to brag a bit...(see picture above) Our church did a Family Craft Night and I was asked to teach a class on simple quilting. SIMPLE is the operative word IF I am the teacher!

Anyhoo....about 30 minutes before the night was over, 4 litle girls came into the room and wanted to learn quilting. I had a simple 9-patch square for them to hand sew. The next step was to put batting sandwiched between the muslin & 9-patch . Then we acutally got to quilt.

This sweet girl, who is a 4-H member was taken w/this (unbeknown to me) craft and when Christmas break hit, she spent a few days w/her grandma and they made a quilt. To my surprise she brought the quilt to me on Sunday to show off her pride and joy! Althought she shows animals at 4-H, she is going to add one more thing to her list of accomplishments....quilting!
She has showed me up already b/c I haven't even finished my first quilt completely yet!
Tonght....
...American Idol came to Columbus! Well, maybe not, but we did see alot of talented kids at the annual elementary school talent show. We spent the evening watching around 100 kids (about 20 of our church kids) perform everything from "Magic Tricks to Violin duets" and everything in between, including Clogging. These kids were pretty good considering they may have had only 1 yr of piano.
My personal award goes to one 5th grade girl who came on stage to sing a solo (brave in and of itself) but she was doing it NOT to a recording but rather w/no music at all! She stood frozen for a minute and then a teacher came out knelt down beside her yet holding her hand for strength. After another minute she started to sing and remarkably well! She got a standing ovation! (now the teacher is an unsung hero and maybe she will never know what she did for this childs confidence level) I am going to send a note of thanks to her!
So who can you hold hands with this next week? Who can you encourage? Who can you let shine next week? Because it's really not about YOU! I have someone in mind!

No comments: