Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Stability....

Israel's stability/my stability...Psalm 125 (the 6th step in the Song of Ascent)

V-1 states that those who TRUST in the Lord will be like Mt. Zion-never shaken-forever standing. And just like the mountains surround Jerusalem so God surrounds and protects us forever. He is our Father, we will always be His children.

Do I think of"protection forever" as being in solitude from all out side forces? Protected like a mother hen protects her chicks? As a parent I did protect my daughters, yet they (at times ) were in negating situations, some b/c of their own choosing & sometimes not.

God does not want me to live in solitude. He gives us freedom to choose & when we choose poorly (& we will) He makes available a way out-But do I always recognize the way out? If I keep my relationship w/Him open then the Holy Spirit reveals the way. God knew that we would forever be fighting the "old nature" so I believer the Holy Spirit/ God Himself is forever protecting me.

V-4 is a plea to God to "do what is good" to those who focus on Him. The Israelites quoted this psalm on the 6th step leading to the Temple doors. ...One voice united simply stating that God is our rock, our protector, our stability in a world filled w/evil.

So I answer my question this way...No , God does not want us to live in a protected solitude. We do not develope our faith in a protected shell. We cannot rightfully witness of His salvation if we are inside a shell. The Bible states that we are to be doers not hearers only of His Word. He desires us to live each day under His blessing of grace & His hedge of protection. And when times get tough, we need to call out to Him for guidance, love, wisdom, forgiveness daily. Although I am a sinner saved by grace (God's unmerited favor) I still sin. Not huge sins b/c there is no measure of sin, it is not plural. But some days when I fail in my quiet time or have a wrong attitude or choose not to help someone in need or carry a bad witness, I sin.

That is when I accept my failures, ask forgiveness, pray for wisdom & start a new day. Looking toward the future -forgetting the past.

God my protector- my theme for 2010.....Peace be w/Israel-Peace be w/you and I

No comments: