Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Announcing 2010...

Like Dorothy in the Wizard of OZ "2009 went so quickly" What happened to this year gone by? What major life changing events took you to where you really didn't think you would be going? What ever happened to "I've got time!" Because now we are starting 2010...omgoodness!

When I was a young child I remember watching this really neat cartoon that premiered on Thursday nights...."The Jetson's" (George, Jane, Judy, Elmo and their dog Elroy) Remember this show came on television in the era before laptops and cell phones the size of your palm. Computers were so 'OUT THERE" back in the 60's. Well, actually computers were these monster machines that took up at least 500-600 sq. ft. of space. This sci-fi cartoon was simply that, way to far fetched for us to even think life could be as simple as the life we lived in the 60-70's.

We bought our first computer for $650 (a Commadore 64) in 1984 when Steve was in college. It was a huge investment and served us well...then the explosion of computer companies emerged. And here we sit, 2010, holding affordable cell phones, I-Pods, and a sundry of tech-no geek machines that can do even more than that monster of a computer back in 1972.

Our grands love the computer world, and enjoy listening to hundreds of songs on their IPods...learn phonics w/their LeapFrog's (yes, we bought them all one) and play bowling w/their parents on their Wii. I wonder what their children will have available to them for fun and learning?

I wonder what our friend Mr Bob in Mississippi thinks about walking into 2010 when he remembers being dropped behind enemy lines in Normandy! I remember Mr. Tyler in NLittleRock, Arkansas, who was born in 1900, got to experience the first flight of the Wright Bros., and also got to watch a man land on the moon. He told me he was amazed at the ability of man but was not surprised at the availability of God to give the ideas in the first place. I remember my DeeDee telling me that their first and only home only cost them $17.00 for 10 yrs then their last few payments rose to $25. In 1953 a baby could be delivered for $28.95 but today the cost is outrageous.

One day when I am old and gray (well.. sandy blond) I too will sit back and tell my great-grands about the time before color TV, cell phones, computers the size of a garage and cars that got 28 miles to the gallon or the fact that I had my babies in the military for only $25.00 each!

Will the future be easier for those kids b/c of technology in let's say, 2040? Probably not, b/c life is a cycle of ups n downs. All given to make us stronger as a person. No matter if we end up like The Jetson's we are still going to need one another to survive this beautiful life.

I pray that 2010 gives you time to give and receive joy....time to give yourself to others unselfishly...time to not worry about the next tech-no geek item that will come around the corner. (usually every 6 mos)....time to roll around on a grassy slope and enjoy "smelling those roses." I pray that 2010 helps you reflect on God's purpose for your life. Focus on Him this year. Although this time next year we will all say the same thing, "where did the time go?", we will be able to say 2010 was a grand year full of life's blessings and sorrows...but we made it thru to only start again fresh!

I am thankful for another opportunity to walk 365 days in the arms of my Savior and hand in hand w/ my husband! I wish the same for you and yours!

No comments: