Friday, April 11, 2008

Open Opportunities...

...I just finished watching a "Chefography" show on Julia Child. She was one persistant lady back in the 1920'. She hated the kitchen! She desired to do something that would influence the world. She signed up for the Navy as a Wave, but soon found out that she was to tall at just over 6'. SO she started working at the OSS (precurser to the FBI) When a request for transfers to India came across her desk, she moved...to India, then onto China. This is where she met her husband. Although they were just friends, Julia found the way to his heart was food. (remember she hated kitchen work) Her opportunities took them to France and school, then her first book at age 49! Her life was filled with open opportunities.....

Yesterday, my life was opened to opportunities. I spoke to a group of our SBC associational secretaries at a luncheon. I have spoken before to groups but only to help in Bible Studies or talk about Acteens. Once I was the "first lady" (so to speak-wink) president of our choir in Arkansas. I have done solo's in church and worked hard in a city PTA council, been interviewed for the Mobile Register newspaper and been on TV. But nothing like this has ever been open to me.

I emailed my daughters, my sister Brenda, friends Donna & Denise and my dearest friend Lisa, who have done this alot....thanks sweethearts for praying. I was scared, but the open opportunity that was presented .....strengthened my resolve to look for more open doors, anywhere and anything that God has for me.

Revelation 3:20-21"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me. To him who overcomes , I will give the right to sit with me on My throne, just as I overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne."

Know this, that "coming in and eating" means relationship. So imagine Jesus knocking (not breaking the door down) EVERYDAY to give you open opportunities!! He gives us the opportunity to choose. And in giving us opportunities, He is showing us that He wants to live with us, sup w/us, enjoy life with us! How many times do we NOT ANSWER the door? How many missed opportunities? God is our Father. And like a father, he wants to share in our lives.

My mother-in-law (Dorothy) has choosen an opportunity to partake in a 4 day/night shut in of Bible study ..AT AGE 79! She even postponed back surgery to be apart of this indepth study weekend. She, like Julia, continues to make a difference in the lives of others. She mentors a high school girl, co-teaches a high school SS class. My other MIL, Annie, choose the opportunity at age 68 to receive a degree in gardening, something that she is already very good in. My mother, taught me by sight, that opportunities are nothing less that ways to strengthen youself as a person. She is about the strongest woman I know of and still going strong at age 77!

Don't miss open opportunities.....I am glad that I didn't yesterday. These ladies and their smiles gave this scared child of God courage to go on. The prayers of faithful family and friends, prepared me for the opportunity.

Below you will see the boxes I used as my theme for yesterday. Thank you honey, for making my vision come together. I am your biggest cheerleader! I am so glad that I didn't miss the open opportunity to be your wife! Kisses,Hugs,Joy

No comments: