Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A Father's Day Story

The local Christian radio station had people calling in w/stories of their fathers. Well, I had to call in and actually got on the show!

This is what I shared:

My story...(my father who passed away 5 yrs ago) About 27 yrs ago, my parents were building their very first home. (we rented all my life)
It's spring time in Ohio and my dad and uncle was clearing the land, noticing a lot of snakes in the woods, they were taking precautions. Well, my dad felt a snake on his leg, grabbed his pant leg..had my uncle cut into the pants to what my dad thought was it's head. My uncle cut a hole in the pants to find MY DAD'S WHITE HANKERCHIEF! It had fallen out thru a hole in his inside pocket..
To this day we still refer to that story as the "Tale of the Great White"

My dad was a short, stocky guy who loved life and kids! In our old neighborhood, he was the "Pied Piper of Woods Ave." To just catch a glimpse of he and my mother walking the neighborhood kids down to Lawson's story to buy them all a popcicle was a real hoot! Or how about the day he stopped long enough to hit one ball and run around the bases w/those short legs of his,(our side yard was the playgound for the neighborhood kids) before he went off to work.

He always took time to listen to you! And his laugh was contagious!! I think I miss his laugh the most! Saturday night I was ironing clothes for church and watching a HGTV show...they were rebuilding a couples back yard. At the "reveal" the wife was totally surprised when she saw her aging father walk through the back yard. Her surprise gave me away to tears when I heard her say "It's my dad." and she ran to him! I was so happy for her but I cried for 15-20 mins thinking, "how I wish I could say that, It's my dad!"

Then as I think of my heavenly dad (Abba Father) I will have tears again as I see Him face to face and say "It's my dad!" This time the tears will be joyfilled!

I wish my dad could have met his great grand daughters, saw "short-stuff Jilly get married, or seen my sisters kids graduate from high school, or enjoy time with my brothers little ones. But it was not in God's plans. I am just thankful that I had him as long as I did!

IF you dad is still alive, call him! Let him know how much you love him. Show off his picture to others and say proudly "It's my dad!"

No comments: