Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Corny...is it?

Corn...Corny, Corndogs, 'Jimmy crack corn and I don't care', Corn husk dolls, 'Knee-high by the 4th of July'..... Sweet corn, shoepeg corn, white corn, grilled corn, cream corn, corn bread....

Why is she talking about CORN, you ask? Well, I was listening to Rush Limbaugh Show today and heard some discussion on ethanol use. Now, mind you, I like listening to Rush b/c he makes me think about where I am on the issues.. sometimes I agree w/him sometimes I do not.

Ethanol gas as a different source of fuel has always sounded good to me. Get us out of foreign oil, the quicker the better is my motto. Ethanol sounds like a good way to do just that. Until the discussion today.

a. the government will have to subsides ethanol by 45 cents per gallon- where will that
money come from? Why you and I of course.
b. corn is used in so many ways the cost of corn WILL go up in
price - simply economics supply/demand.
c. cost of EVERYTHING ELSE will go up - b/c corn is used in so many
things .
d. IF we go to ethanol as an alternative, we then have to
import our food - if so, do you want our food imported?
The last remark(d) was made by a farmer who produces corn and other items, he spoke about how many farmers are producing more corn and less soy and other vegetables. Why, b/c that is where the money will be. A well known economist has written a book on the dangers of ethanol use. (I wish I had written down his name)
Why did she write on this in her blog, you ask? Just to get others to question and to look at the bigger picture.
I personally would rather import my oil than import my food supply. I personally would choose to conserve more gas in my vehicles. I personally would like to see us drill in Anwar (the 1/10th we were planning on using) or start using our off-shore wells more, than go for the "Corny" alternative.

No comments: