Sunday, May 3, 2009

I will seek your good....

Deciding to read once again The Psalms of Ascents (chap 121-132) I read Psalm 122 today:

IT IS a song done as a prayer for Jerusalem . So to me, my Jerusalem is Columbus , Ohio . So I prayed over Columbus , that she will hear the call of God. That churches who name the name of Jesus will 'get out' of their comfortable boxes. Reach toward the lost, poor, broken spirits that live in this city.

THERE is a family in Columbus who has done just that: sold their suburban home, moved to the inner city and lives Jesus to broken spirits-wow! Amazed after few years the crime rate has drastically reduced in that neighborhood.

Anyway back to my thought....V3-4 talks about a city who is solidly built so people can go and give thanks to the Lord. Pray for your city to be built like this!

V6-8 TALKS about praying for peace to envelope your city, my city, Jerusalem . Peace for your walk, prosperity within the protection of your city.
V9 is what stuck my heart today...."because of the house of the Lord our God, I WILL SEEK YOUR GOOD."

As I live and breathe everyday, do I seek the good of others? I say I do, my actions show I do...but do I breathe it everyday? Do I breathe it BECAUSE of the Lord my God?

What would happen to our cities if we did what this family in Columbus did?? Not necessarily move into the inner city but live like we are in the inner city...REACHING OUT OF OUR WELL PLANNED, DESIGNED BOXES OF WHAT WE THINK GOD DIRECTS US TO DO AND REACH INTO A LIFE (or 2 or 3) "because of the house of the Lord our God, I WILL SEEK YOUR GOOD."

Okay then..food for thought (at least for me)

Last Monday, as I was walking out of WalMart I saw a mother w/her infant and a huge cart of groceries plus a giant package of TP under her arm. We giggled about growing another arm when a baby comes and walked to our cars. After I emptied my cart I went over to her and told her that I wanted to take her cart back to the corral for her. She looked shocked but said thank you, I really shocked her, by giving her $2 to buy a coke or milkshake as a treat from me. She refused kindly, I told her that I had to give it to her b/c if I didn't I would not be obeying the Lord. So I said "Please, enjoy on me." She shyly said "ok, thank you" and I walked away.

I did not share this to brag on self...but after reading Psalm 122 and remembering this family's life change, I thought that maybe that is ONE WAY I can reach into another life.

Let's see if any of you out there in blog land can come up w/other ideas to REACH INTO A LIFE..."b/c of the house of the Lord our God."(V9)

No comments: