Sunday, September 2, 2007

Today my dad...

...would of turned 74 years old! I just want to celebrate that life that was my dads. He was a hard worker but always had time to listen when you needed him to.
I can recall Sunday dinners like they were yesterday. Mom always made a huge dinner (it was like Christmas every Sunday) We would all sit around the table and eat to our hearts content. You could never find an empty place on dad's plate, he loved food! And his short stature and large belly told everyone he enjoyed eating. His laugh was contagious! If you happen to ask dad to 'pass the bread or rolls' he would literally pass them to you...so you had better catch quick. I remember that my one uncle and aunt w/their 3 kids would always manger to show up just as we were finishing dinner most Sundays...and there always seemed to be enough food to sit them down to eat. Dad (nor mom for that matter) never let others go hungry or without...even when we didn't have enough for ourselves...there was always something to give to someone in need.

After dinner dad would most times take all us kids down to Lawsons store to get popcicles...then mom would have to bath the neices and nephew b/c of their sticky situtation. Afterwards I would hear mom and dad talking about how that was a good idea b/c it was an opportunity to feed and bath those
poor kid-os.

You know we didn't have alot of STUFF growing up but we did have love! So when I think about my dad and how I miss him still, I quickly remember love...a commodity that contains an endless amount of exchange for each other. My dad had a lot of faults (as we all do) and he may not have accepted Christ on his death bed....but I am trusting in a GIANT God who loved my dad w/an everlasting love. I am trusting that the words of hope I (and my siblings)shared w/him helped him to reflect on Abba Father, and the love on the cross .

In the meantime, I continue to cry, laugh, and remember my earthly father.
Happy Birthday Dad! We love you and we miss you alot!!! (kisses and hugs)

No comments: